For those of you who aren't familiar, Blue Apron is a service that delivers a meal kit to you complete with just about everything possible you would need to make a meal and a step-by-step recipe to follow. There was zero grocery shopping involved and you can choose from various meals on their site, along with the option for a family sized meal or one for 2. I chose the meal-for-2 option knowing full well my children (one of which is SUPER picky) would not have eaten the meals listed for a family. I chose three different meals and the whole kit was delivered on Saturday to our doorstep! As I said before, this was a free kit for us but regularly it is $59.94 (or $69.92 for family).
Instagram Story so I don't have most of them! Blogger fail! Our meals were chicken under a brick with roasted veggies and potatoes, fontina stuffed pork chops, and a spinach and ricotta flatbread. Day 1 I did the chicken....and quickly realized some things about myself one of which is that new recipes during the week STRESS ME OUT! I didn't realize this about myself before! Quickly my house was filled with smoke! The meal tasted great (their sauces all week were awesome!) but boy did I look like a mess by the time I got everything onto the table!
- The food really tasted amazing from start to finish...My mom made a different recipe when we were down visiting and it was amazing too! The quality of the food that I got was great (with the exception of one pepper that was getting squishy) and having all the ingredients included and measured out was awesome.
- The convenience of not having to meal plan, shop, and prep was awesome especially considering I scheduled it to come after we had had a busy weekend. It was great knowing that I had everything I needed right there.
- I thought the price was right for us....we normally spend about that much for three meals anyway. The added advantage was that I didn't have to buy whole bottles of spices and other things to just use a teaspoon so that saved in the budget department!
- Ok now there are a few negatives....the biggest one for us was the portion sizes. The plan was for 2 people but the portion sizes, especially the meats were very small. I think that if this was improved upon we definitely would get it again, but once the meat cooked down there really wasn't much there.
- Skills....I am ok at chopping and what-not but the amount of chopping or other things took me much longer...plus with two hungry chickies coming into the kitchen every 2 minutes while I make dinner to ask for a snack (please tell me my children are not the only ones who ask for a snack while I'm LITERALLY cooking dinner!!!) it made for a stressful situation. Here I am trying to make sure I press down my chicken like a brick and they're rummaging through the cabinets!
- Because of my children, I was making two meals every night...one for them and then one from the kit. Now this isn't all that much different from the norm (I know I need Super Nanny) but it did add to the craziness of the time!